Week 4 (Part 1 of 3): Expert Interview
A few weeks ago I contacted an expert to conduct an interview. That expert was Scott Manley, the guy who made the moon landing tutorial. He responded, and agreed to answer a few questions, so I made a list and sent it to him. A few weeks later, which was a few days ago, he still hadn't answered my questions, and I needed to find a new expert before this Friday. When I was asking my parents for ideas, my dad remembered that he grew up with a guy who wanted to become a rocket scientist, so he looked him up and found his LinkedIn page. My dad sent him a message, and they ended up talking on the phone for awhile. Eventually my dad asked him about the interview, and he said he'd be willing to answer a few questions if I email them to him. Here's some information about him and his answers to some of my questions:
Name: Dr. Paul Martin
What he does: Professor at Florida Institute of Technology
What he teaches:
- Physics 1
- Physics 2
- Electromagnetic Theory
1.
What are your thoughts about students using physics simulations such as
Kerbal Space Program to teach themselves about physics?
I think simulation programs are an important component in learning. However, simulations are an interactive observation of the physical world. This is only the beginning of the scientific method. Experiment and evaluation are needed to complete the learning process. The student should verify the results of the simulation to see if a space-born object really behaves that way. I realize this is easier said than done, but there are many ways to verify. A student could research past space missions with similar results.
2. How accurate would a simulation have to be for you to consider it an effective learning tool?
Degree of accuracy is a very touchy thing. A really accurate model could take huge amounts of computing power and minutes to hours to days to produce a result. This is generally not the best learning tool. Models where speed is a priority and accuracy is a close second are much better at demonstrating the physical world. There are many fast algorithms that can approximate a right result without slowing down the computer.
3. In your opinion, what is the most important lesson, other than physics, that a student could learn from a rocket simulation like Kerbal Space Program?
Making a simulation work with the proper results requires the student to organize their thought process. This more than anything else, is the most important skill a student can learn.
4. How much can knowledge of physics in space be applied to real life on Earth?
The physics of the surface of the earth is the same physics in outer space. However, we often use different, more complicated equations to describe outer space physics simply because there are multiple sources of gravity. Also, the effect of gravity is radial.
Really convenient that your Dad knew a physics professor, otherwise it could've been tough to find someone willing to talk with you. I never would've thought that games that look for speed over accuracy would be realistic, but I suppose if the game is still fairly accurate it's a pretty great option for learning about physics. Have fun continuing to learn about physics as you play Kerbal Space Program.
ReplyDelete